Skip to main content

Be good. Don't get angry!

As a ritual, I drop my wife to office every working day. As a ritual, we end up running 10-15 mins late. I am an owl type, hence mornings are usually slothfully slow for me. This irritates her. While she gets ready in 20 mins flat (5 minutes added, thankfully, because of the dressing table that we have now), I end up taking almost 50 mins. This also means she gets more time to sleep (aargh!).

As we menace through the rough traffic & pot holed roads and reach her office, she says the same thing to me everyday.
"Be good. Don't get angry!"

I smile back and drive on to my office. I was wondering about this once. I was outraged for a bit - What does she mean? Am I a cruel heartless beast that she has to ask me to be good everyday? After calming down in an instant thinking she knows better, I gave it a deeper thought. In general, we forget to be good and get irritated with all the small and big things that happen to us or around us everyday. The roads are bad, the work is too much, the colleagues are not supportive, the boss doesn't give the increment, the parking fees are too high, bikers overtake recklessly, grocery shopping is a pain, weekend movie ticket rates are high, some relative is upset, girlfriend is upset, wife is upset, people don't form queues, metros are too crowded, work happens not the way I like, hell this world functions in totally wrong and insane manner!



And then she says - "Be good. Don't get angry!" 

You know what - she is right. It won't change anything in any case. Rather than getting angry, if we let these moments pass over us (until it is too big to be passed) - there is no point in risking yourself with high BP or heart diseases. You can read more of her zen like fun thoughts here.

Meanwhile, be happy, eat good, exercise a bit and hope that you don't get traffic the next Monday morning!



Comments

  1. Wife always knows better He-man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ushma you are so right!

    @Himanshu you are plain jealous! Be good :P :P :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well she has a very strong point there! Makes sense. Nicely written too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anil - yep, a strong point! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HB sir.."Be good. Don't get angry!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saraswati to Laxmi!

 Image Courtesy: http://www.thehindu.com/ Now that MBA is over and I am considered an ounce wiser, being back home means work. There are so many pending things that are just waiting in the attic to be dusted and made to work again. One of them is the mammoth task of physical share transfer and dematerialization. Though stated in one pretty sentence, it takes months of effort and work. And of course, money!  My brother has been painfully going about the motions of this work for a couple of months now and nothing much yet seems to have resulted out of it. We struck a good deal with a certain Saraswati something shares. I asked, "How much would this one fetch us?". He replied, "Enough to recover the money you spent on your MBA degree". I exclaimed, "Really! Waoh! Even after they have been dormant for like 15 years??!". He quipped, in exasperation, "Weren't they supposed to teach you all this in B-School?" I did shut up and let him do this pain

Were you sleeping?

How irritating is it to get a phone call when you are in that last hour of your sleep on a Saturday morning? Worse, if it turns out to be your mobile service provider wanting to confirm if you would want to upgrade your 3G plan (which in any case sucks with most providers in India!) Even worse, what if it turns out to be someone important, like your boss? Now you don't want to sound totally sleepy - do you? What would he/she be thinking of you if he were to ask, "Were you sleeping?" at 11 am in the morning? (And, this is judgmental attitude is especially true of older white haired balding bosses!) Well, here are a few tips to sound all alert & morning crispy when actually you would have killed him for ruining your sleep on a Saturday morning. They have worked well for me, hope they would for you too! - Take a deep breath, let the phone ring for a few seconds so that you get a chance to clear your head (hope you did not have much alcohol last night). T

Continuity called Nature

Other not so important news is as follows. I am limping with a completely removed nail from the finger next to toe on my left foot, heat is getting unbearable as it is supposed to be, work is hectic as usual, I don't find time to exercise, I like to sleep more and I am hopelessly stuck in a rut of work-home routine with minor hiccups like the stupid freak toe injury. Pretty uneventful as usual. What we tend to forget while ranting like I just did is that these continuous monotonous processes in life are also the driving force for us to graduate to newer and widened laws of nature - even though we may tend to resist them. It is hard to realize the importance of these circles until you find few precious minutes for yourself to think and look around. There is nothing new with spring and summer. We hardly have spring season though - summer conquers spring quickly and brutally. I happened to be loitering around lackadaisically on the terrace and found the beautiful burnt orange on t