Skip to main content

Being a Proud Indian

It is just past 5 am on 15th August, 2011. Heaven and Hell both know I am not an early riser. And no, I haven't risen up to listen to Mr. Manmohan Singh speak from the Red Fort on the 64th Independence Day of India. I also don't work for an organization which would want to see me working on a National Holiday. Like most Indians, I would rather skip our soft spoken PM's speech and enjoy the extended weekend, but I clearly am not doing so. It is a simple question and a profound one that bugs me and takes my sleep away.

Jinhe Naaz Hai Hind Par Woh Kahaan Hain?

It means - Where are those people who are proud of India? A beautiful song from singer Rabbi Shergill asks the same question, many a times. Where are those people? Are they the ones like me who enjoy sleeping on their nation's Independence Day which, just to remind myself and them - was won after a hard fought battle of about a 100 years? I don't think so. They definitely don't fit. Are they the ones who are writing blogs, posting updates, changing their display pics? Ummm, it would be unfair to count them as being proud of India. Are they those who suffer daily in some form or the other - laxness of law and order, bad roads, overcrowded trains, corrupt governements, mud slinging politicians and sadhus, self proclaimed Gandhians fighting for common people - and are too scared or simply cowards to speak up? They sure can be Indians but proud ones at that, not really.


They are simply those who are dead. Dead because they tried to fight. Dead because we all together can't stand up together next to them. I am one of those as I am scared too - scared for myself and my family. This beautiful song names a few of those proud Indians - all dead. And if it stirs you a bit and you want to know more about those people - you can save your self the trouble of Googling it by checking out here.

Oh, Happy Independence Day by the way.

Comments

  1. lump in throat...tears in eyes...

    what kind of independence is this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. very beautifully written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just wondering what those families are doing today ! celebrating ? or remembering ? agony or betrayed ?

    Seriously some times Ignorance is bliss ! but after reading and knowing about them cant be at peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Oldfox004 - exactly, answering that question is the toughest thing to do.

    @Manpreet - Thanks!

    @kalyan - yep, that is what kept me awake for a while. how do people whose families have been betrayed celebrate festivals of the very nation whose machinery has betrayed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice post on indians really like it very much thanks for the info provided

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saraswati to Laxmi!

 Image Courtesy: http://www.thehindu.com/ Now that MBA is over and I am considered an ounce wiser, being back home means work. There are so many pending things that are just waiting in the attic to be dusted and made to work again. One of them is the mammoth task of physical share transfer and dematerialization. Though stated in one pretty sentence, it takes months of effort and work. And of course, money!  My brother has been painfully going about the motions of this work for a couple of months now and nothing much yet seems to have resulted out of it. We struck a good deal with a certain Saraswati something shares. I asked, "How much would this one fetch us?". He replied, "Enough to recover the money you spent on your MBA degree". I exclaimed, "Really! Waoh! Even after they have been dormant for like 15 years??!". He quipped, in exasperation, "Weren't they supposed to teach you all this in B-School?" I did shut up and let him do this pain...

Were you sleeping?

How irritating is it to get a phone call when you are in that last hour of your sleep on a Saturday morning? Worse, if it turns out to be your mobile service provider wanting to confirm if you would want to upgrade your 3G plan (which in any case sucks with most providers in India!) Even worse, what if it turns out to be someone important, like your boss? Now you don't want to sound totally sleepy - do you? What would he/she be thinking of you if he were to ask, "Were you sleeping?" at 11 am in the morning? (And, this is judgmental attitude is especially true of older white haired balding bosses!) Well, here are a few tips to sound all alert & morning crispy when actually you would have killed him for ruining your sleep on a Saturday morning. They have worked well for me, hope they would for you too! - Take a deep breath, let the phone ring for a few seconds so that you get a chance to clear your head (hope you did not have much alcohol last night). T...

Delhi IndiBlogger Meet

It was a great idea to head for the Delhi IndiBlogger Meet. Finally, after many weekends spent just like that, a Saturday when I ventured out. The meet was scheduled at The Religare Art Gallery at the K.G. Marg in Connaught Place. Apart from having met some great bloggers (hopefully, will get to receive some pics and comments back here!), it was great to win some rocking treats from www.mydala.com  (I thought it wouldn't be fair if I enjoy the treats and not mention the sponsors!) Here is a pic of what was in the goody bag, entirely to evoke some envy! Connaught Place never fails to bring that 'Ah, I love this about Delhi!' feeling. Same old buildings though shiny now with restoration, great shops, winter days with amazing thelas selling everything from groundnuts to the piping hot tea - Ah, I love Delhi! Connaught Place is truly a 'Why Not Place?!' as the Religare Art Gallery would say...