Skip to main content

Hello.Namaste.Vanakkam.Baga Unara.

We Indians love to celebrate. It gives us a reason to smile over our political, sexual, personal, professional and many other kinds of miseries of day to day life. Right from the time a kid comes into this world to the time he is dug back into the earth or burnt upon death; it is time for some kind of gathering/event/celebration. Our higher gastronomic quotient, an uncanny ability to pray to thousands of Gods and hold tonnes of people whom even our grand parents wouldn't remember of in awe provides even more opportunities. Celebrations, Fun, Food, Booze - almost become synonyms.
It is God X's Birthday! Let us carry out a procession! Mr Y died on this very day ages back, let us declare it a holiday. Your aunt's second cousin's daughter's father-in-law passed away, how sad [all tears I am to the gross loss I have to bear...]. Let us go for condolences! To make it even more funny, Mr. Y's death in Maharashtra makes it an apt occasion for a chakka jaam and doesn't make a leaf stir in the neighbouring Goa or Karnataka. Ganpati festival carries such a huge sanctity that I am even afraid of writing this on my blog sitting in an isolated part of Maharashtra whereas Eid-ul-Fitr and Dusshera passed with hardly any noise. Yea yea right...don't give me that India-is-oh-so-diverse shit! Yes we are a diverse nation with different tastes and preferences. Agreed. But then, accept it throughout! Probably if we accept this, it wouldn't be hard to find an answer to all the problems that have prevailed at some point of time or other in Maharashtra, Orissa, Assam, Karnataka, Delhi, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Goa [Oh damn..should I write all the States of India here???]
The point here is - we are different. We are a vast nation. Things that work at one place don't in some other part of the country. Now we have two options - either we can fight over it, which we comfortably are by actually fighting or disinterestedly pointing out flaws in the often cursed system over the evening tea and Marie biscuit or...as a first step, we can accept the differences and learn to live with them.
I was so averse to people recognizing others by their state and not names that my blood used to boil when someone recognized someone else as a Mallu or Gujju or Marathi or Punju or Bong or Telegu or Bihari or U.P. Bhaiya..but then what did I see? It makes no sense to boil my blood - simply because a Mallu is hell bent to prove that he is a Mallu and he wouldn't have it another way. And for your information, I am not talking about the often talked downtrodden or the illiterate India. It is the crème de la crème of the society with whom I am studying in an elite B School. The bond is simply oh-so-very-fevicol here. Rot is complete. A simple chat with me becomes of no consequence to a guy who is talking to me from past ten minutes as soon as he hears a sing song Hi! from miles away in his mother tongue. It is like a sniffer dog's alacrity which we Indians are born with - the only difference is that for us, it is our ears that are over sensitive to the mother tongue! Half of the decisions for a project/assignment/presentation are made in their mother tongue and even before one becomes aware, the project is over [good for me] Some would come and say - Oh you are just jealous that you don't understand. Hell No! I am as jealous of not knowing your tongue as much as you are not knowing mine! Frankly, I care a damn! Why is that I am almost coaxed out of my room to celebrate the festival you believe in when I don't care a damn about it? For brotherhood? For being one of the place? But then, why don't you collect money and organize say an event on Eid-ul-Fitr with the same fervour as Ganpati or Dandia? Won't it help to promote that brotherhood and being one of the place you have been squalling about? Why don't our purses open [or are forced to be opened] for Christmas or Navroze [do you even know what it is?]
Go get a life losers. I am not taking any more religion/region/language bull shit from you for various reasons you state. I know where my loyalties lie so don't come banging on my door again for money for some celebration again...

Comments

  1. Nee estam ochinatu raasi andhariki pampi dengutav endhuku ra pichi na kodaka!
    Means: Great work, good to know you have the time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Points well made Himanshu. But isn't this just like wearing whatever is in fashion? Don't we all do that. & when i say all, I include you and me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Ankush - Well, u can wear whatever is in fashion buddy, but then that doesn't mean u relegate others' fashion preferences to the background...I hope I answer your question.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not debating, but i will promote only whatever I like. As far as relegation goes, I don't think it is ever appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i did a cursory read..
    1. i loved the last line
    2. its just that we feel very secure when we talk in our mother tongues. and of course noone else understands..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ ankush - ofcourse one has entire freedom to promote what one likes. AM not debating that either. And as u said, relegation is never appreciated. Well, it shouldn't be. And what I am promoting here is - equanimity. Promotion of X should not impose on Y. Hell, we are not talking about Coke or Pepsi here, its about relegation by promotion of one thing..well..guess point is taken on both sides..thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ amileen - yea I know neelima..I hope, you didn't take me wrong ;)
    At times, it just gets a bit.."What am I doing here?"

    Point taken :)

    Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saraswati to Laxmi!

 Image Courtesy: http://www.thehindu.com/ Now that MBA is over and I am considered an ounce wiser, being back home means work. There are so many pending things that are just waiting in the attic to be dusted and made to work again. One of them is the mammoth task of physical share transfer and dematerialization. Though stated in one pretty sentence, it takes months of effort and work. And of course, money!  My brother has been painfully going about the motions of this work for a couple of months now and nothing much yet seems to have resulted out of it. We struck a good deal with a certain Saraswati something shares. I asked, "How much would this one fetch us?". He replied, "Enough to recover the money you spent on your MBA degree". I exclaimed, "Really! Waoh! Even after they have been dormant for like 15 years??!". He quipped, in exasperation, "Weren't they supposed to teach you all this in B-School?" I did shut up and let him do this pain

Were you sleeping?

How irritating is it to get a phone call when you are in that last hour of your sleep on a Saturday morning? Worse, if it turns out to be your mobile service provider wanting to confirm if you would want to upgrade your 3G plan (which in any case sucks with most providers in India!) Even worse, what if it turns out to be someone important, like your boss? Now you don't want to sound totally sleepy - do you? What would he/she be thinking of you if he were to ask, "Were you sleeping?" at 11 am in the morning? (And, this is judgmental attitude is especially true of older white haired balding bosses!) Well, here are a few tips to sound all alert & morning crispy when actually you would have killed him for ruining your sleep on a Saturday morning. They have worked well for me, hope they would for you too! - Take a deep breath, let the phone ring for a few seconds so that you get a chance to clear your head (hope you did not have much alcohol last night). T

Continuity called Nature

Other not so important news is as follows. I am limping with a completely removed nail from the finger next to toe on my left foot, heat is getting unbearable as it is supposed to be, work is hectic as usual, I don't find time to exercise, I like to sleep more and I am hopelessly stuck in a rut of work-home routine with minor hiccups like the stupid freak toe injury. Pretty uneventful as usual. What we tend to forget while ranting like I just did is that these continuous monotonous processes in life are also the driving force for us to graduate to newer and widened laws of nature - even though we may tend to resist them. It is hard to realize the importance of these circles until you find few precious minutes for yourself to think and look around. There is nothing new with spring and summer. We hardly have spring season though - summer conquers spring quickly and brutally. I happened to be loitering around lackadaisically on the terrace and found the beautiful burnt orange on t