Skip to main content

Beyond the rhetoric




O.K. We all loved Chak De India. It definitely was a taut script and who doesn't like to see the underdogs win? It also addressed almost all women issues, regional disparity and touched a little on religion bias too. And to those observant eyes, it also was an excellent surrogate marketing move(Aaj Tak, McDonald's, Puma, Ultra Tech...and one more which I leave for you to tell me ;) )

But on this so-much-hyped 60th Independence Day, all I am doing is sitting and typing a movie review to be posted on my blog. And yea, I changed my Orkut profile colors to suit that of the nation too. That is about it. Or is it?

I have been insanely patriotic, or rather, chauvinistic in approach when it comes to India. My motherland India. I love to see the uniformed men, and they still manage to generate an awe, immaculately dressed and exercise fit. I love to salute the National Tricolor whenever I can. In fact, the only thing I liked about entering my college was the fluttering National Flag. But as I grew up, and found myself caught in the harsh realities of this insane world, I came to know, that there is nothing that exists purely on the basis of emotional quotient these days. Emotions hardly matter. That uniform was not all that green as it seemed. And then, one tends to engulf in a feeling of let-it-be, which I daresay has become a hall mark of the Indian psyche. And any efforts from newspapers to make people DO stuff, generate leaders, discussions and debates at prime time, movies like Chak De, Swades, RDB, etc are but noisy jitters in the let-it-be wave called the largest democracy of the world.

So how is it, that these jitters have managed themselves to sustain? Answer is simple. Surely they are more than those noises on the contour of the Indian minds. The excessive unknown emotions one feels when SRK says, "Dekho, pehli baar kisi gore ko India ka tiranga lehrate dekh raha hoon." (Look, it is for the first time I am watching and white unfurling the tricolor of India). The exhilaration one feels when the tricolor is unfurled. The feeling on watching the R-Day parade. The National Song, National Anthem, patriotic songs. Everything makes sense. When everyone rose in the theatre for the National Anthem, it felt nice. And the feelings felt by the character Kabir Khan in the movie, for his nation, for his flag, for his will to see Indians do well at international level do say something. Something, that cannot be said. It can only be felt. And not only on 15th August or 26th January. But everyday.

Comments

  1. Hmmm ahem...i wish you could come& attend my journalism classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. emotional..i liked the 'let it be genaration' ..will use it somewhere..but it seems there is som much to change that it will not take years but a genration to see some difference,,i hope it happens just after ours...nice thought dude..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saraswati to Laxmi!

 Image Courtesy: http://www.thehindu.com/ Now that MBA is over and I am considered an ounce wiser, being back home means work. There are so many pending things that are just waiting in the attic to be dusted and made to work again. One of them is the mammoth task of physical share transfer and dematerialization. Though stated in one pretty sentence, it takes months of effort and work. And of course, money!  My brother has been painfully going about the motions of this work for a couple of months now and nothing much yet seems to have resulted out of it. We struck a good deal with a certain Saraswati something shares. I asked, "How much would this one fetch us?". He replied, "Enough to recover the money you spent on your MBA degree". I exclaimed, "Really! Waoh! Even after they have been dormant for like 15 years??!". He quipped, in exasperation, "Weren't they supposed to teach you all this in B-School?" I did shut up and let him do this pain

Were you sleeping?

How irritating is it to get a phone call when you are in that last hour of your sleep on a Saturday morning? Worse, if it turns out to be your mobile service provider wanting to confirm if you would want to upgrade your 3G plan (which in any case sucks with most providers in India!) Even worse, what if it turns out to be someone important, like your boss? Now you don't want to sound totally sleepy - do you? What would he/she be thinking of you if he were to ask, "Were you sleeping?" at 11 am in the morning? (And, this is judgmental attitude is especially true of older white haired balding bosses!) Well, here are a few tips to sound all alert & morning crispy when actually you would have killed him for ruining your sleep on a Saturday morning. They have worked well for me, hope they would for you too! - Take a deep breath, let the phone ring for a few seconds so that you get a chance to clear your head (hope you did not have much alcohol last night). T

Continuity called Nature

Other not so important news is as follows. I am limping with a completely removed nail from the finger next to toe on my left foot, heat is getting unbearable as it is supposed to be, work is hectic as usual, I don't find time to exercise, I like to sleep more and I am hopelessly stuck in a rut of work-home routine with minor hiccups like the stupid freak toe injury. Pretty uneventful as usual. What we tend to forget while ranting like I just did is that these continuous monotonous processes in life are also the driving force for us to graduate to newer and widened laws of nature - even though we may tend to resist them. It is hard to realize the importance of these circles until you find few precious minutes for yourself to think and look around. There is nothing new with spring and summer. We hardly have spring season though - summer conquers spring quickly and brutally. I happened to be loitering around lackadaisically on the terrace and found the beautiful burnt orange on t